St John’s: A mission-focused church
St John’s has a heart for North Africa – and we have been sending teams on short-term outreaches to Egypt, and more recently Sudan, just about every year since 1999. We are sensitive to the political situations in both these countries, and their impact on the persecuted church, and are currently not sending any teams to Sudan as it is too dangerous for our contacts there.
For the past two years, we have also sent youth teams to Lesotho.
Mission is for everybody. Matthew 28: 19a tells us to go and make disciples of all nations, while Acts 1: 8b says “and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth”.
We encourage our parishioners to go on an outreach. Those who have been will testify to the amazing blessing that it is – whatever we give of ourselves, we receive back far more in so many ways!
Why we go
The purpose of these outreaches is to sow into the lives of Christians in the persecuted church and their ministries.
We have five focus points when it comes to mission:
- To pray the presence of Christ into every situation
- To compile information to bring home
- To sow into the Church and the lives of Christians, through finance and general support of their ministries
- To form strong links with the Church and the Church family
- To be with Christ’s family in physical form – to be Christ’s letter of love
Outreaches for 2014
In May 2014, the Dawson Family delivered books and other goods to the Africa 4 Jesus Mission Base in the Malealea Valley in Lesotho. In the October school holidays, Sally Dawson will be leading a Youth Outreach to the Base.
Information about the next Egypt Outreach (planned for late September, early October) will be available soon.
To be part of these outreaches, please contact Mission Coordinator Nicky Willemse 082 837 6356 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other ways to be part of Mission
Buy a gift certificate – the ideal gift for the person who has everything. The words on the voucher (worth R30, R50, R100 and R150) will tell the recipient that you have donated money in their honour to one of the programmers we support (see below) These can be obtained from the parish office from Monday to Friday.
Or make a donation towards one or more of our programmes through a monthly debit order.
- Just R30 will pay for the schooling of one child for three months in Sudan. In addition to supporting the struggling Christian school in Sudan (we also contribute money to pay teachers’ salaries – as they are not paid), you can…
- Support much-needed church-building in Sudan, or…
- Contribute to the enormous ministry of Youth With a Mission (YWAM) in both Egypt and Sudan.
We support INcontext Ministries, a missions organisation headed up by Mike Burnard, who has 30 years’ international experience. INcontext aims to serve churches by providing up-to-date information about what is happening within the Church and the Body of Christ around the world, and reporting global events from a Christian perspective.
Information is provided in various ways, including:
- A website, which is updated daily with relevant news reports (www.incontext.webs.com)
- A Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/INcontextMinistries)
- A bi-monthly free email newsletter (A World in Motion) which reports on recent events from a Biblical perspective. To subscribe, email Mike at email@example.com
- A quarterly newspaper
- Information seminars, workshops and national conferences
- Pray for the Nations prayer materials for personal and group use A YouTube channel with information in video format (http://www.youtube.com/user/INcontextMin)
All the information is provided in the hope that churches and individuals will respond to the call to strategically pray for and support the worldwide Body of Christ.
For more information on INcontext, visit www.incontext.webs.com
Please contact Nicky Willemse
082 837 6356
LESOTHO OUTREACH 2014
4 – 10 OCTOBER 2014
A team of Teenagers and Young Adults head to the Africa 4 Jesus Mission Base in the Malealea Valley in Lesotho.
Please keep the following needs in your prayers:
- Pray for good health for the Team before and during the outreach
- Pray for safe travels on the roads to, in and back from Lesotho
- Pray for an uneventful time at the border. We are taking in Solar Panels and Creche supplies. Pray for blind eyes!
- Pray for the people we meet in Lesotho. Pray that their hearts will be open to hearing God’s word.
- Pray for unity with the Lesotho Team.
- Pray for the weather – that it will be tent friendly
If you have any words of encouragement for the team, please contact Sally Dawson on +27 79 134 2701 or Nicky Willemse on 082 837 6356